Saturday, March 7, 2009

Welcome friends and family. Landed in Fiumicino on Thursday afternoon. Its now saturday, just finally getting into the pace of things. Roma is beautiful, my apartment is something like 200 years old, which is considered new. It is in the heart of trastevere, across the river to the south west. John and I each have our own bedrooms, there is a living room in which I am typing right now, with a computer, Internet, and telefono, sofa, chairs, etc. The kitchen is narrow, galley style, but with ample room. Bathroom has, of course, the two toilets, shower, and there is also a large storage room. Organized off of a long axis on the plan-right, with rooms organized in succession down the left side. There is a lightwell on the right of the hallway, which allows some cross-breeze when we have all of the 10 foot tall casement windows flung open to the narrow cobblestone streets. Our Shutters are amazing, and so is the simply detailed iron hardware which makes their use possible... everything, everywhere is detailed perfectly. Scale and porportion are always correct, exact, perfect. I'll post some drawings soon, and maybe some photos. I spent all day today in the roman forum behind the capitaline hill, and michelangelo's campidoglio. Stay tuned for a few drawings from that, as well as some other sketches, watercolors, and photographs.

5 comments:

  1. I cannot wait to see the photos and drawings! I love your descriptive on your apartment, makes me feel as tho I am there with the 10' casement windows flung open and the breeze blowing thru ... what a life experience you are being blessed with! Miss you tho ;) Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool man. I will be checking this regularly keep us posted on all new and exciting adnetures in the world of allenenroma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another quick note we have launched summerkempfer.com. Check it out if you get any down time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments! I'll post some more drawings and photographs soon, hopefully before the weekend. and Yes, summer, I checked out the website, it looks great! So exited for you! Tell everyone hello for me.
    Ciao.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Man, It was so great to hear your voice over Timberly's computer. I am excited for you and your adventures in Italy. I've been to a few different places in Italy and loved all of them. I pray God will protect you in all of your travels. Love, Joyce (Grandmother)

    ReplyDelete